Get picked up by your guide at your accommodation in Barcelona for the Montserrat Tour plus Wine Tasting. Head 60 km northeast of Barcelona, to the Magical Mountain of Montserrat. On the road, your guide will share fascinating stories about Catalonia’s history and culture, introducing the sites you will visit on this tour.
Montserrat Tour plus Wine Tasting Description:
The Mountain of Montserrat hovers 4,000 feet high over the spectacular landscape of Montserrat National Park. The massif itself is easily recognized by the “serrated” appearance of its skyline and the whimsical rounded shape of its peaks.
The latter is the result of millions of years of erosion. Ascend to the top to discover the most mythical views of Catalonia’s landscape.
On Montserrat Mountain, 2,380 feet above sea level, sits the Benedictine monastery of Santa Maria de Montserrat. This beautiful structure, surrounded by nature, has served many as an authentic spiritual retreat for almost one thousand years.
Visit the Basilica, home to the Virgin of Montserrat (the “Black Madonna”), also the patron saint of Catalonia. According to legend, the Virgin physically appeared here in the IX century, giving rise to the hermitage of Santa Maria.
The Roman carving of the Black Madonna can be traced back to the XII century. The wooden statue is easily recognizable by her dark skin and the golden altar surrounding her.
Finally, enjoy a performance by the La Escolania de Montserrat, one of the oldest boys choirs in Europe. Listen to the angelic voices of the children, which light up this already magical place.
Continue your journey to the discovery of Catalonia’s fertile soils and warm climate, the perfect combination for rich wine production.
Head to the Penedés region, located at the foot of the Montserrat Mountain, cradling verdant vineyards. Enjoy the beautiful green and mountainous scenery, while driving through and get to know Sant Sadurní d’Anoia, the capital of the Cava.
Your guide will take you to a family-run cellar of 1385, celebrated for its organic and ecological cultivation of grapes. The cellar is well known for its premium production of a superior Cava called Corpinnat, a distinguished great sparkling wine, made in the heart of the Penedès from 100% organic grapes harvested by hand and entirely vinified on the premises of the winery.
Visit the cellar and descent to the dungeons where the wine is secretly kept for several years. Learn by the hand of expert viticulture on wine production and grapes growing.
Taste 3 varieties of local wines and Cavas, paired with traditional cheeses and cold meats while enjoying great views of the Catalan countryside with the Montserrat mountain in the background.
When does it run?: From Tuesday to Sunday
Duration: 10 hours
- Full-day tour from Barcelona to Montserrat Mountain and Penedès wine region
- Visit the breathtaking Montserrat Mountain and its sacred Benedictine Abbey
- Delight in the verdant beauty of Penedès and descend into the authentic wine cellars of the region
- Visit a local Cava and taste different varieties of this sparkling wine
- Learn about the rich cultural heritage of Catalonia from your expert guide
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Professional guide
- Private transportation
- Pick up and drop off at your accommodation
- Walking tour of Montserrat Natural Park
- Visit the Monastery of Montserrat
- Visit and Cava tasting at Llopart Family Estate Cellar and Vineyards
- Children Choir of Montserrat (if available)
- Any private expenses
- Gratuities (optional)
- Comfortable clothes and shoes are recommended as there is some walking involved.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- If you have reduced mobility, please contact us before booking. We do our best to welcome everyone on board!
- Most travelers can participate